A quick rundown of the mythic storylines as America prepares for Game 1 of the most epic World Series in quite some time, the Chicago Cubs versus the Cleveland Indians:
- The Cubs will seek to overcome a 108-year curse (the Curse of the Billy Goat) and bring a championship to Chicago. In doing so, they will carry the weight of liberal America and ancient Hebrew ritual simultaneously on their back, as they are cheered on by their number one fan, Democratic Nominee for President Hillary Rodham Clinton. The full scoop is detailed in my previous article, “This Goat is the G.O.A.T.” In short, they will seek to drive their scapegoat, Donald Trump, and the Cleveland (“we hosted the RNC”) Indians off the cliff. The Cubs clinched the National League Pennant during the Hebrew harvest festival of Sukkot. Game 1 will take place on Simchat Torah, the day that the Torah is celebrated and wound back up, and Jews begin reading again, "In the beginning..."
- The Indians will attempt to exorcise their own demons and bring home their first championship since 1948. If they win, it will be Cleveland’s second major championship in less than 6 months, as Lebron James’ Cleveland Cavaliers pulled a surprising upset and the biggest comeback in NBA Finals history to win the NBA championship over the favored (and hometown) Golden State Warriors back in June.
- The Indians also have a racist and culturally insensitive name. They do so at a time that real “Indians” are standing up for their basic rights and protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline, which threatens their ancestral sites and water supply. These protestors at Standing Rock, North Dakota are supported by millions across the country and planet who wish to see our nation shift toward environmental conservation and away from fossil fuels. The “Water Protector” protestors are opposed by the Texas-based energy company, Energy Transfer Partners.
- Meanwhile, the Cubs have intrigue and drama of their own. Their ownership family, the Ricketts, has drawn the Twitter-ire of Republican hopeful Donald Trump in the past, claiming that the team was “not well run.” The Ricketts are Republicans who supported other candidates during the Republican primaries. However, the family has now consolidated its support behind Trump in time for the General Election. Or have they? Other sources see the family separated along a predictable gender split. Will this support, or partial support, for the dark forces of the universe be the Cubs undoing? Or will it be simply another wrinkle in a semi-sensical dance of the gods?
- Making matters worse, Hillary has her own impurities to contribute to the party. While Hillary Clinton grew up a Cubs fan, she has come under fire for also supporting the New York Yankees during her time as a New York Senator to the United States Congress. Critics see this as evidence of Hillary’s two-faced, evil nature. Supporters see it as sexist B.S.
- These overlaps, along with leaked information from the Russian government and WikiLeaks, have prompted some observers to suggest a 'wag the dog' hypothesis in which Trump and the Clintons have been in cahoots from the beginning.
- Finally, there are 108 years in a curse. The Cubs need 108 outs to win the World Series. There are also 108 stitches on a baseball. And 108 prayer beads on a traditional mala. 108 is a very mystical number. The Cubs also have, on paper, the better team. Hillary has a comfortable lead. But history hangs in the balance, and the games still have to be played. Let the games begin.